Monday, January 10, 2005

Air Canada Cover

September 30th, 2003 - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Canada



OK, this one was a request a while ago and now that the REM Around the Sun Tour has gone into a months hiatus in between the North American and European legs it's given me a chance to catch up on some of the other things on my 'to do' list.

I remember this concert. I was sitting at work listening to the REM HQ's live webcast of the show (not a bad way to spend a work day).

Initially I started looking for some shots of the venue just on the web and on the centre's official homepage to see what was around. I was also looking to see if there was any stand out architecture on the building that might make an interesting element for the cover. I almost went for a heavily cropped photo of the odd sculpture that sits in front of the building. I ending up finding the very cool shot that's on the back which was so perfect for the inlay. The venue photo set the colour and tones for the design, very cool autumn colours.

I scrounged around for some shots of the show, finally finding a couple of good concert shots from the night to use on the cover and inlay.

For the typography I once again used a technique that is prominent on quite a few of my covers, scaling each line of type so they're all justified to the same width creating a beautiful symmetrical block of text. Under this block of text on the inlay I had a square of blank space that I wanted to fill with some sort of iconic image. The venue country providing the inspiration by having one of the most recognizable international icons in the world.

At first I was worried about how I was going to do the track listing. It always works out better if the track number on each disc is about even. In this case it was sixteen tracks on CD1 and only eight on CD2 which is unusual for a bootleg release. The layout of the tracks was determined by the fact I could break the list into 3 columns of eight which ended up looking very nice after my initial concerns about how I was going to pull it off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home